Sunday 26 April 2009

FIGHT! For Their Lives I - Results & Recap

FIGHT! Held its first show at the HP Pavilion at San Jose tonight. The show was preceded by a meet and greet with fans featuring Jason Mercer, Dane Kinsley and Lightweight Dez Canada who wouldn’t be in action tonight.

Attendance was estimated at 11,000 with most tickets being sold in the days leading up to the event itself. The top layer of seats were blacked out.

The first match of the evening was an exciting back and forth encounter that pitted striker against grappler as Aramis Vasquez took on Rahm Petersen who was also making his competitive debut. Petersen would no doubt be looking to get the fight to the ground where he could work his incredible Jiu Jitsu.

---------------------------------
RAHM PETERSEN
---------------------------------
“There’s no doubt that this fight favors me. Even though this is my MMA debut, we’re basically equal in the experience factor. I’ve been in countless Jiu-jitsu tournaments, and he’s only been in three fights. With that comes the fact that he hasn’t seen me fight, he doesn’t really know how I will translate to MMA. The only people who know what my game is like are the guys that I train with at Milwaukee Top Team.”

“I’m ready. I have something to prove. It’s going to be hard for Vasquez to be elusive when I’m smothering him, and looking for limbs to take home with me. Honestly…I’m not leaving that Octagon unless I have one of his arms with me to put on top of my mantle place.”
---------------------------------

Vasquez looked fired up, while Petersen looked anxious but as the bell rang, Petersen went all guns blazing and immediately dumped Vasquez down hard before quickly moving to side control and then effortlessly to ful mount, all within the first minute. An armbar attempt from Petersen didn’t pan out and Vasquez was able to get back to guard, though he was looking totally bewildered at the frantic pace and sublime skills Petersen was demonstrating. Unfortunately, Petersen spent most of the remainder of the round stuck in Vasquez’s guard, and taking some hard body shots. With a few seconds left, Petersen passed into mount again but time ran out.

Round two began with Vasquez getting the better of a striking exchange with a stiff low kick. After spending most of round one on his back, Vasquez was looking to take the spring out of Petersens step. Vasquez kept his distance and began to loosen up before _rocking_ Petersen with a right hand. Vasquez dived down onto the stunned Petersen but inexplicably found himself on his own back with Petersen looming over him. Again though, despite working for position, Petersen showed a reluctance to strike. It’s a round that could go either way with Vasquez doing the damage but Petersen showing control.

A touch of gloves sees round three begin and immediately Petersen looks to shoot, but he eats a hard low kick. The duo clinch and Petersen tries for a Kimura but Vasquez easily breaks free. Petersen looks in good shape and starts to bully Vasquez around the Octagon before taking it to the ground easily. Petersen again controlled the action without really threatening and the crowd were growing restless until Vasquez managed to kick Petersen away and get back to his feet looking for a grand stand finish. Vasquez went hard at it for the final thirty seconds, but could only land a leg kick and a few shots inside the clinch.

The judges have it...

29-28 Petersen
29-28 Vasquez

And

29-28 Petersen

Rahm Petersen wins by split decision. Vasquez isn’t happy about it, but he didn’t do enough to convince the judges.

It was here that we cut backstage to where Jason Mercer is working on sparring with one of his partners for a moment as Nicole Markson, an interviewer for FightFan.net, awaits her chance to talk to the former Fury-Pro superstar.

---------------------------------
JASON MERCER
---------------------------------
Nicole Markson: Jason, if we could get a word with you before this fight?

Jason Mercer: (stops sparring) Sure Nicole. Take five Reggie. Don't go too far though.

NM: First off, welcome to Fight!! and welcome back to the States. I noticed that you dropped down from Middleweight to Welterweight in coming here. What was the motivation behind it and was the cut difficult for you?

JM: You know, it wasn't that difficult for me to cut down to 170. At times in Fury-Pro I fought well under 185, and I took the chance to see if I could make the cut in a couple fights since and I found that it wasn't as hard as I thought. Granted that last week before weigh-ins I'd feel like hell but once I got on the scales I found that it was all worth it.

NM: And what of your opponent tonight, Kyle McIntosh, who's making his debut against you?

JM: Kyle, all I gotta say is I'm sorry I gotta spoil your coming out party and put a 1 in the L column for you. It's unfortunate bro, but you gotta go through me.

NM: Rumor has it that there might be some representatives of your old team, Tenchu-Do in the audience tonight, including your old nemesis Garrett Bishop. Any comment on that?

JM: Nah, none whatsoever. I'm not here to revisit the past, I'm going forward into the future, and I'm ready to do that here in FIGHT!!!

NM: Thanks Jason, back to you guys at cageside...
---------------------------------

The second fight of the evening promised be a wrestling clinic. Former FURYPRO competitor Damian Cruise took on the Japanese competitor, Chizuko Kowashi. Both men weighed in well below the 185lb maximum and at 5’6, Kowashi could easily make the cut down to Welterweight.

---------------------------------
CHIZUKO KOWASHI
---------------------------------
Chizkuo Kowashi sits in front of the FIGHT! Backdrop. He sports an orange & white Paramount Fight Club t-shirt, with a pair of sun glasses hanging from the collar. Kowashi is translated by an American with a thick Japanese accent.

CK: I consider myself one of the top middleweights in the world. I’ve proven what I was capable of in Japan, and I plan on doing it in the States’. I have came a long way since I was first under the tutelage of Master Shin’ya Funabashi, and under his wing I have honed my skills to become one of the best. Though the Americans may not know, nor care, they will soon fell my presence in their Nation.

Kowashi was then asked about the amount of talent in his weight class, and how he stacked against them.

CK: I give them all credit, I’m not the type to degrade another man with pointless slander. I’m sure they’ve all put in time at their respective gyms, have the mental and physical drive, and I’m sure they all are tough… but, I’m a different breed. A lot of those guys are one dimensional. While they may excel in one attribute, they may lack in another. I’m not like that. I can take you down and pound you out, I can get myself out of any submission, and I can strike with some of the best boxers around. I’m the best of all worlds.

When asked about his future in American MMA, Kowashi had this to say…

CK: I’ve came to America, the Mecca of mixed martial-arts, to prove that I belong. Ever since I was little, I’ve been written off as the nobody- the underdog. I’m here to prove that I can rise above and take control. I‘m here to make waves and make myself a name. I’m out for blood.

And, the camera fades.
---------------------------------

Both men looked motivated and as the bell rang, Damian Cruise came out with a good one-two combination which seemed to catch Kowashi by surprise and spurred him on to find a convincing takedown. From side control, Kowashi delivered some hard strikes which bruised up Cruise’s left eye. Kowashi clearly smelled blood and made his way into full mount where he continued to unload but Cruise rallied and hung on for dear life. Lesser men might have curled up and died, but Cruise fought his way back to half guard. True to form, the wrestler was finding it difficult from his back and absorbing punishment.

Halfway through the round, Kowashi nearly had Cruise finished as he unloaded a barrage of strikes. The powerful Japanese fighter was in total control, but Cruise was hanging on. Kowashi moved into full mount and continued his assault opening up a cut on Cruise’s cheek and chin. The referee was inches away from stopping it, but Cruise did enough to convince him otherwise.

Kowashi though wouldn’t stop, and after softening Cruise up with body shots he left the referee with no choice but to stop the fight. Cruise was a mess and really just found himself unable to find a way to get Kowashi off of him. It was a very convincing performance by the Japanese fighter and he was humble in defeat raising the arm of Cruise afterwards.

Chizuko Kowashi wins by TKO! [3:23 RD 1]

The exciting Dane Kinsley was up next. With a record of 14-6, he has some of the most lethal hands in the business. But Jeremy Brown boasts impressive Muay Thai credentials and the crowd were hyped for the match and the pre-fight interviews only made things more enthralling.

---------------------------------
DANE KINSLEY
---------------------------------
“This is my opportunity to get out of the scrub leagues. First, second, third, whatever round, as long as I'm standing and he's on the mat takin' a nap, it's goin' to be an awesome night for me.”

“I don't think this guy has enough to beat me. I've had twenty fights, he's had six? I'm already battle tested, getting my ass handed to me and learning from it, so I could figure out what I'm doin' out there.”

“I figure this fight'll be over by the second. My fist'll be in his face and my foot'll be up his ass real soon and we'll see how good this man is, 'cause I don't have any gear but forward. Can he handle the pressure?”

I'll find out and let ya know.”
---------------------------------

---------------------------------
JEREMY BROWN
---------------------------------
"The first FIGHT! show, and I'm matched up with Dane 'Banger' Kinsley. Go figure; my knees against his jaw. Even worse, his hands against my face! Not exactly the best match-up for me, but I've had worse, and come out on top."

"I'm gonna go out there and try to do what I do best, honestly. I'm pretty quick, so I don't know that Dane's fists can catch me, and I really want to test his chin with my knee. They say its 'iron', but I think I can turn it into a cheap aluminum can, hah!"
---------------------------------

Both Brown and Kinsley were eager to start, and Kinsley had to be held back in his corner. Everybody was expecting a war, and they weren’t left disappointed.

The pair came out swinging and it was Dane ‘Banger’ Kinsley who got the better of things landing a strong right hand right from the off. Brown came back with a knee, but Kinsley was looking confident dancing around the Octagon before staggering Brown with a nasty straight right. Brown hit the deck hard barely a minute in, and it looked like the fight was all but over. Kinsley stalked before landing a _stunning_ stomp. Somehow Brown got back to his feet, but he was clearly still dazed as a confident Kinsley chopped away with kicks to the thigh and a punishing left hook.

Brown looked to use his Muay Thai and clinch, but ate an uppercut. Kinsley was really dominating the stand up, and knocked Brown down a second time with another uppercut. Brown was quickly back up, but with a minute left in the round he was taking hard hard shots. Rights and lefts were coming from all angles but Brown managed to catch Kinsley _hard_ and ‘Banger’ was hurt. An incredible turn around at the end of the round saw Jeremy Brown coming forward looking to end the fight.

An absolutely electric first round, Brown looked dead and buried at one point but he dug deep and came back strong at the end of the round. Round two had a lot to live up to and once again, it delivered.

A touch of the gloves from both fighters showed that they knew what a war they were in. Brown tried to work the clinch, but a rapier like strike to the chest doubled him over within seconds. Kinsley again stalked, probing with soccer kicks and refusing to allow Brown up to his feet. The referee intervened and brought the fight back up to its feet where Kinsley took control with a strong counter punch and then a big hook. Before long, Brown was down again and this time Kinsley didn’t waste any time connecting with a _hard_ soccer kick to the head. Kinsley began to wail away with leg kicks which echoed around the venue but seemed to grow frustrated that he couldn’t land any more telling strikes and allowed the bloodied Brown to his feet.

The pair hit the side of the Octagon and Kinsley began to unload with dirty boxing. He really worked the body. With a minute left in the round the pair exchanged hard leg kicks, but as Brown came forward with a Superman punch he was staggered with a _nasty_ middle kick. Kinsley faked a one-two before landing a _brutal_ right hand _right on the button_. Brown hit the deck like he’d been shot and it was all over in spectacular fashion.

Dane Kinsley wins by KO! [4:54 RD 2]

An incredible stat shows that Dane Kinsley landed 87% of his punches in that fight, phenomenal performance and surely the Fight Of The Night.

Dutchman Aaldert Daaf was up next, taking on Grant Prosser [USA] in the Light Heavyweight division. Once again, both men were pure strikers but while Prosser liked to use his hands, Daaf was all about the kickboxing skills.

---------------------------------
AALDERT DAAF
---------------------------------
“Uh…I am excited to be…aahh…competing in FIGHT! MMA, and…uh…grateful that I am given the opportunity to have…a strong fight in my debut.”

“Grant Prosser has strong standup skills, but…uhmm…if I say so, my stand up could be stronger than his. Being from Holland, well…uhm, we take kickboxing very seriously, yeah? All respect to Prosser, but after this fight, I will invite him to come to Holland, and ayyyh, train at Team Handhaven, if he so wishes.”

“On Sunday, best wishes to you, Grant Prosser, but ah…Ik zal Handhaven. I shall stand fast.”
---------------------------------

Daaf came out with a beautiful liver kick that visibly buckled Prosser but the American continued, for better or worse. Daaf was really connecting with his kicks and Prosser didn’t have an answer, his aptitude with his feet also allowed him to express himself with his hands and barely a minute into the fightProsser was opened up above the eye after a wild haymaker.

Prosser was knocked to the ground after a series of body shots, Daaf had softened the area up earlier with a hard middle kick. Daaf managed to land a soccer kick before Prosser was stood up by the referee, though he’d probably wish he hadn’t.

Prosser surprised Daaf with a punch that found a way through and immediately Prosser uncharacteristically looked to shoot but he ended up eating a knee which absolutely _wrecked_ him. And probably broke his nose.

Aaldert Daaf wins by KO! [3:29 RD 2]

Much like Kinsley, Daaf landed a ridiculous amount of his strikes. 83% of his kicks finding a home.

The co-main event of the evening was the match with the most interest after the weigh-ins. Welterweights Jason Mercer and Kyle McIntosh had shared words, with Mercer than main antagonist. Mercer would have to find a way to stop the Muay Thai and solid Jiu Jitsu of McIntosh, but he has the experience edge to do it.

---------------------------------
KYLE McINTOSH
---------------------------------
[In a simple studio, Kyle “Stretch” McIntosh slouches back in a simple chair. Behind him is a giant FIGHT! Logo.]

"With the depth of the welterweight division right now, I have been anticipating a fight with Mercer since I've got here. Options are sparse for now, but this is the fight I've wanted. Right now, I value him as the best in the Welterweight division right now.. on paper. Me, I'm a relative unknown, but Mercer has been around and has got some key wins against some of the top international competition. This is the fight that I've wanted. I want the best opponent available, and whomever that is... I want to knock his head off!"

[McIntosh sits up straight.]

"Put it this way, when you head out to the bar or pub, you always take your shot on the hot chicks, right? Maybe you get lucky, maybe you don’t- but you at least try.. or have 10 beers..ha, before you reside yourself to some of the low-hanging fruit... the easy scores. Those other shit-bums will always be around, but Jason Mercer, the hot chick, will only be around for a little while longer. He’s not going to be the best anymore. I am going to make sure of this."

[McIntosh flashes a small grin and then nods his head to whatever he just thought of.]

"I've had the chance to go back and watch some of his fights in Fury-Pro. I know what he's about. He's got some deadly submissions, but if he wants to take the fight to the ground like he usually does, he's going to see that I'm no slouch at Jiu Jitsu myself. It will be him that's tapping out this time around. Keep it up, and I'll kick his head off. Pick your poison."

[Fade out.]
---------------------------------

Mercer was looking confident in his corner as McIntosh paced in his. Mercer had the ability to dictate where this match would take place with his superior wrestling, but he had to pick his poison matching up to the dangerous Muay Thai or BJJ or McIntosh. This had the makings of a classic encounter.

From the outset, it was clear that Mercer wanted to get things to the ground, and he managed just that with an early single leg takedown. Mercer patiently worked for position but McIntosh found a way back up. Mercer again went looking for the takedown, but before he managed it, McInitosh delivered some hard knees from inside the clinch. Mercer again worked hard and got off some strikes from inside the guard of McIntosh but he wasn’t able to keep his opponent down. The wrestling of McIntosh seemingly better than expected.

Mercer continued to work for takedowns, but he continually received punishment as he went for them. McIntosh had bruised up his opponents ribs but was himself breathing heavily and stalling. Mercer bullied McIntosh against the fence and the pair stayed locked up until the end of the round. McIntosh looked the happier of the two as he returned to his corner. Mercer had kept a fast pace up though and maybe it would come back to haunt McIntosh in later rounds.

A touch of the gloves started round two and a similar pattern of play developed. Mercer kept looking for the takedown, but McIntosh was showing great defense and making his opponent pay for each failed attempt. The pair found themselves stuck in a clinch against the fence where McIntosh landed a couple of _hard_ knees. Mercer was relentless but as the round came to a close he was visibly frustrated. McIntosh was elusive enough to avoid his strikes, and good enough to stuff his takedowns. What could he change to make the third round his?

Round three began with another quick takedown, but Mercer as quick to follow up with a body kick which caught McIntosh by surprise. Mercer initiated a clinch of his own and landed a couple of knees to the face. Had his early pace taken its toll on McIntosh? Mercer was moving well, bobbing and weaving and firing out his jab. An exchange in the centre of the Octagon brought the crowd to their feet, but no telling blows were landed. Sensing a change in momentum, Mercer again went looking for a takedown but to no avail.

Mercer was really mixing up his gameplan and taking control of the round with his clever boxing. McIntosh was struggling to cope despite the encouragement from his corner. Mercer connected with a few leg kicks before changing levels and shooting for a takedown. McIntosh struggled, but he couldn’t stop it! Mercer had the fight on the ground but McIntosh squirmed on landing and found himself on top. Mercer couldn’t believe it.

Desperate to finish the fight, Mercer swung up his legs looking for a Triangle and for a few seconds it looked as if he had it. McIntosh was struggling, but he found a way out. Mercer was back to his feet and swinging with purpose, but he ran out of time and the match went to the judges decision.

The judges have it...

29-28 McIntosh
29-28 McIntosh

And

30-27 McIntosh

Kyle McIntosh wins by unanimous decision. The damage he inflicted in the first two rounds proving enough. Whoever judged it 30-27 needs to get another job because Mercer had the third in the bag. If this had gone five rounds, Mercer might well have come out on top but as it stands, McIntosh gets a big victory.

The after fight stats show that Mercer only managed 3 from 21 takedown attempts which really is where things went wrong for him.

The final fight of the evening saw two Heavyweights collide. Michael Cross is a massive mountain of a man, but perhaps his best days are behind him. Oleg Maksimov is a tough competitor who is comfortable on his feet or on the ground. No doubt that Cross would be looking for an early knockout because the longer this fight went on, the worse it would be for him.

The fans were behind Cross and the token USA chant went up as the bell rang for round one. Maksimov started with a furious pace with one, two, three takedown attempts. The third one saw Cross dumped on his back and within a minute, Maksimov had fought his way into full mount. Cross did a good job of avoiding damage, wrapping his huge arms around the upper back of Maksimov who began to work the body with short punches.

Cross began to grow in confidence and started to fire powerful strikes from his back but this opened him up for a barrage of strikes from maksimov who came within seconds of finishing the fight. Cross’s corner screamed at him to hold on and work back to guard. The big American managed just that, but in doing so he absorbed more punishment and his left eye began to close up.

Maksimov worked for position for much of the round and with a minute left, he found his way back into mount where he punished Cross heavily. Maksimov had the fight in the bag, but over-exuberance saw Cross sweep him. Maksimov though had done the damage and Cross was in no position to take advantage. Maksimov kept busy until the end of the round. Cross was a mess, gasping for breath and with both eyes swollen.

Maksimov kept the pressure up in the second round and bullied Cross against the fence. Risking punishment, Cross held the fence to avoid the takedown but he soon found himself dragged down. Maksimov landed several strikes from the top before Cross stifled him by holding.

Maksimov did enough to remain active, peppering the body of Cross at every opportunity and occasionally landing a few strikes to the head. Cross was in no position to continue and at 2:49, the Russian landed some telling blows which opened up a cut across his opponents eyebrow. Cross wasn’t defending himself and the referee jumped in to stop the fight. Cross protested, but replays show him curling up and offering nothing in defence. The fight was over!

Oleg Maksimov wins by TKO! [2:49 RD 2]

A great night of FIGHT! Action came to a close. As promised, the show featured some excellent bouts and the crowd left happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment