Wednesday 29 April 2009

FIGHT! For Their Lives I - After Show Press Conference

Following the events at FIGHT! For Their Lives I, several of the competitors attended a press conference alongside Jake Morgan.

---------------------------------
DANE KINSLEY
---------------------------------

Middleweight striker Dane 'Banger' Kinsley [USA] came out of FIGHT! For Their Lives I perhaps better than anyone. His clinical display of impressive striking saw him dominate Jeremy Brown. His performance certainly caught the eye, and if he continues, must put him at the very top of the Middleweight pile.

Q: "How did you think your fight went?"
"Terrible." (laughs)

"Nah, seriously though."

"I knew what I wanted to do and went out there and did it and Brown didn't really give me anything to worry about. I think he did more damage to my hands with his head than anything else he threw at me."
Q: "Are you happy with the result?"
"Clearly."

"Always got to dig puttin' a dude to sleep. Especially tonight."

"You want to give people a reason to watch you and book you. I felt I basically needed to prove myself. Show off my accuracy and power."

"I think I definitely did that."
Q: "Where does this place you in relation to the division?"
"No clue."

"I mean all of that will be decided by the brains of the operation. I'm just here to fight whoever, whenever, wherever. But I think I definitely put myself in any discussion in the 185 division that comes up after tonight for sure."

---------------------------------
RAHM PETERSEN
---------------------------------

Making your debut is always a tricky experience but Rahm Petersen [USA] managed to sidestep the elusive strikes of Aramis Vasquez to grind out a split decision victory.

Q: Now with your debut out of the way, can we expect you to finish a fight in the future?
“I am unapologetic for the way the fight unfolded. Controlling Vasquez was even easier than I imagined it would be. I smothered him just like I said I would, and there was nothing he could do to stop me, nothing. Of course I wanted to finish with the armbar in the first round, but even when that didn’t pan out, I threw everything I had out there. Sometimes you can finish, and sometimes you can’t. I will be even more aggressive next time out. I really want an appendage trophy.”
Q: How did the right hand during the second round affect you? Did you decide on closing the distance after that, and grinding out a decision?
“I’m not going to lie: The right dazed me. But like I said before the fight, and which I will repeat now, pure jiu-jitsu guys are not the cowards people might say they are. I believe that we’re tougher than any other discipline out there, and I think my chin proved that. As an added bonus, Vasquez just jumps into my world with me? Did he really think it would be over that easily? Ridiculous.”
Q: Who would you like next?
“It doesn’t matter. I’m sure Vasquez will want a rematch, since a split decision loss can’t be very satisfying. But, sorry, my friend, maybe some other time. I’m focused on moving up the ladder, not stalling on it. I’m focused on making Milwaukee Top Team synonymous with champions. Kyle McIntosh and I haven’t shown our true potential yet. When we do, no one in FIGHT! MMA will be able to stop us.”

---------------------------------
KYLE McINTOSH
---------------------------------

Welterweight Kyle McIntosh took a step up in competition by tackling Jason Mercer in the co-main event, and proved his credentials with a relatively comfortable decision victory. Despite fading slightly in the third round, McIntosh did enough to convince the judges.

Q: Well you went in there wanting to put your name on the map with a big win, and you got just that with the unanimous decision win over Jason Mercer. You must be satisfied with the way things went.
“It was a good fight. Mercer didn’t take it easy on me for a second, but I made sure to make things difficult for him too. The win’s certainly going to put my name out there. It definitely should give me a boost in the Welterweight rankings. At the moment though, I think I still got more to prove.”
Q: It looks like you made a distinct effort to keep the fight standing up. Was this part of your strategy?
“I knew he liked the ground game, and I anticipated that he’d want to take it there. He never seems to get tested on two feet, so I wanted to be the guy to give him that test. In the end, it was never so much that I wanted to keep it up as my takedown counters being on point all night.”
Q: What’s next for you, Kyle?
“Well, if Garret Bishop changes his mind about why he came here, send him my way. Haha. Honestly, I do not care. I’ll take whomever Jake Morgan and the bookers in the back want to throw at me next.”

---------------------------------
Aaldert Daaf
---------------------------------

Dutchman Aaldert Daaf scored the KO of the night with a spectacular headkick to dispatch hard hitting Grant Prosser in what turned out to be a mismatch of skill and ability. Daaf used his kickboxing so effectively he will have alerted the whole MMA world to his presence.

Q: For all of the amicable talk before the fight, you certainly didn’t take it easy on Prosser…
“Ah…no. [chuckle] I suppose I didn’t. He is a great fighter, and he showed willingness to trade, he showed a real…uh…fighting spirit. As I said before the show, I am extending an invitation to Grant Prosser to come to Rotterdam, and train with Team Handhaven. And sorry for the soccer kick, but…ay…a fight will be a fight, right?”
Q: Can you explain the ending of the fight?
“Yes… I think Prosser felt that his punch did more damage than it did. I am used to be hit in the face…uh…very frequently. You could say my face is strong. [chuckle] Even though it made no sense, I just…um...felt like he would shoot, so instinctively I threw the knee…and that was that.”
Q: Who would you like to fight next?
“Anyone. Since I fought first, that puts me in the lead, doesn’t it? Uh, no other 205 pound fighters competed on Saturday. Now they know where I’m at, and how I go about things. I…uh…I will fight anyone. Honestly.”

---------------------------------
OLEG ANATOLIY MAKSIMOV
---------------------------------

Russian Heavyweight Oleg Maksimov gave a lesson in ground n’ pound to his American opponent Michael Cross, displaying surprising agility for a 240lb + man. In truth, Cross never troubled Maksimov who can expect tougher opposition in future fights. He spoke in English, through a heavy Russian accent.

Q: First of all, Oleg, how do you feel following your fight with Michael Cross?
“I feel good. I feel very good. One hundred percent, you could say. I could fight again tomorrow if I had to.”
Q: Few people outside your home country of Russia and Team Taipan in Japan know your name. Tonight, many of them got that all important first glimpse right here in FIGHT! MMA. What is your impression of Michael Cross now that the fight is over?
“Never underestimate him. He is still a world-class fighter. Yes I won that fight, but it wasn't easy. Cross will bounce back, and be better than ever. I'm sure of it. Who knows... maybe we'll see a rematch someday. But for now, my focus must be on the next fight, whenever that may be.”
Q: Do you have any preferences on your next opponent?
“It doesn't matter who. I will train equally hard for all of them.”
Q: Thank you for your time.
“No, thank _you_.”

---------------------------------
CHIZUKO KOWASHI
---------------------------------

Japanese Middleweight Chizuko Kowashi made light of impressive grappler Damian Cruise. He answered questions through an interpreter.

Q: Impressive victory tonight Kowashi, to say the least. Do you think you’ve proven anything to the rest of the roster?
“All I did was go out there and prove that I am for real… ya’ know? I believe that everyone was thinking that I was doing nothing but blowing smoke up their a** when I was saying that I one of the best, if not THE best, fighter on the roster. I contain all the tools necessary to reign supreme, and I plan on putting them to work. And, if they don’t want to believe me, then let them find out first hand.”
Q: Well, it’s obvious as to where you believe you stand in your division… but, let’s bring your size into play. It is possible to say that you are one of the smallest middleweights on the roster… is there a possibility that we will see you move down to welterweight in the future?
“Actually, I was wanting to move up to light heavyweight. I mean, my natural weight is about 188lbs to 190lbs, so it‘ll be a lot easier keeping weight. It was actually my original class as an amateur mixed martial artist and early in my professional career. Once I work my way up to the top in the middleweight division, it is a diffident possibly you will see me move up a weight class.”
Q: Alright, alright.. Now are there any big threats among the middleweights that you may be aware of?- any guys that really stand out to you?
“There are a few, but their irrelevant. I see flaws in their game that I will expose once I see them in the cage. “
Q: Okay.. Well, it’s been nice talking to you Kowashi- I appreciate you comments.
“Thank you, anytime.”

No comments:

Post a Comment